OVERTURE RESTAURANT

Cape Town has so much to offer and there's always a different restaurant or wine farm to explore! I was introduced to Overture Restaurant when I attended a wine and food paring evening on the 3rd of September this year. My husband and I enjoyed the food and wine so we were eager to go back as soon as possible. I was also keen on a day visit as the venue has amazing views.


My family and I were hosted by the restaurant and we had a lovely Sunday lunch this past weekend, it was nice to be back so soon after the event. The staff are super friendly and they sure love what they do. We even had the opportunity to meet the restaurant owner (Bertus Basson)  Bertus is a South African chef, businessman and TV personality, he came to introduce himself to us, what an honour! it's seldom that you meet and have a little chat with the owner, so this was super special.

Overture is a family-friendly fine dining experience, it is housed by Hidden Valley Wines near Stellenbosch , this wine farm will take your breath away with its stunning views and the restaurant is also a site to see! I really love the face sculptures that occasionally appear when looking around the wine farm, almost creepy but extremely cool and arty.







The dining experience:

We had a four course meal with wine paring and there are two options per course.

Our welcome drink was a glass of Hidden Valley brut, its notes were lime zest and apple, well those were the two notes that ruled my palate, it was crisp and refreshing.  My husband also had a Negroni.






We had the following treats before starting our course;

Chrisna's olives from the trolley. I love olives and totally enjoyed these, they were delicious and I love how they were displayed , so appetising.

Next we had the Lowerland Country loaf, Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia, whipped Beef fat, Pine Pampoenvark terrine, Pickled heirloom Mason beetroot, Olive oil and fennel.

This was my least favourite but hubby loved it.



Tableside Kudu Tarter:
The chef came to our table and prepared the tarter in-front of us using some fresh/raw ingredients i.e. egg yolk, mustard, Kudu fillet, fermented pear, pickled shallots, pickled cucumber, fresh chives, a little bit of salt, chili oil made with chili from their garden and some chive oil. He mixed everything together and served it in a Giraffe bone, an actual Giraffe bone!  The Tarter was served with crispy bread. I must say, I'm not a fan of raw meat or raw egg but this was so yummy, it didn't taste raw but fresh.





It was time to get down to business, at this point I thought wow, we're going to stuff our faces and we'll wobble to the car  when we're done! (chuckles)

First Course:
Ethically sourced raw Cape Bream, orange, Mason fennel, chilli, tomato and onion. 
this is the perfect summer dish, I loved the flavours, it was refreshing and served with Hidden Valley Treasure 2018 wine, this is a light fruity dry rosè, notes are strawberries and rose petals, so refreshing, the perfect summer wine for me.



 The second option from the first course was , braised springbok, cauliflower, miso , brown onion and gremolata. This was served with Hidden Valley Secret 2015 wine, wine notes include, blackberries, sweet spice and mocha. very nice on the tongue.




 Second Course:

Edwern Heim asparagus, home made cottage cheese and egg yolk ravioli, nutmeg and chive butter, this meal is served with Hidden Valley Sauvignon blanc 2018, wine notes are Pineapple and Litchi.

We also had the second option from this course, which was Free range chicken galantine, Jamestown kohlrabi, nasturtium and  Mason carrot, served with Hidden valley Pinotage 2016, I fell in love with this wine (my husband bought a few online so I can indulge at home)  its notes are bright red fruits, raspberries, vanilla, dark cherries, plum and mocha.



Third Course:
We both had the second option from this course.

Struisbaai bream, courgette, butter emulsion , gnocchi, cured Pork belly and curry oil served with the Hidden Valley Viognier 2015 wine.  taste on the tongue is peach, orange blossom, apple and ripe pear.


Our kids did not eat much, they were more interested in exploring the venue. They enjoyed running around and playing on the grass. The kids only had steak and chips and dessert of course!




 The Palate Cleanser:
This is a neutral -flavoured sorbet (minty) that removes flavour from the tongue, allowing you to taste the next meal/course. It cleanses the tongue so that your taste buds are refreshed.


I  don't always have dessert, I'm not so fond of it. but when I do, I enjoy it in moderation. 
I absolutely enjoyed my dessert which was White chocolate and Somerbosch strawberry mouse, coconut, lemon and strawberry sorbet served with a dessert wine (Delheim Spatzendrek 2017) it is extremely sweet and a little rich in consistency but very nice.  
The kids had the same dessert as mine. 
This was so Devine, like fairies dancing on my tongue!




The second dessert:

Hubby indulged in the Hazelnut soufflé , brown butter ice cream and brandy caramel-Joseph Barry VS.  I did not taste it, mine was more than enough but hubby enjoyed it and it looked amazing.




And that was our Overture experience, it was amazing!

Follow Overture Restaurant on Instagram @over.restaurant    as well as Hidden Valley wines @hiddenvalleywines and follow me @divadolz

till next time XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts